Friday, October 9, 2009

A few thoughts of the day

1) I have suspicions that Obama may be the Antichrist.  (Please let me say that if I'm mistaken, I'm very sorry Mr. Obama.)  Anyone read the 'Left Behind' books?  How the Antichrist posed himself as a new world leader, promising change, and everyone simply fell in love with him - not for his substance, but just on a gut feeling, that he promised an alternative.... seems remarkably similar. I thought about it a while ago, and it came up again with the whole Nobel Prize thing this morning.  Add that to the 'predictions' of the world ending in 2012 (shortly before the opportunity for someone to replace Obama), and you've got to at least give pause.  It's a crazy notion, I'll give you that - but it's something to think about. Let's hope it's nothing, I doubt I'd be able to forgive myself if I voted in the Antichrist, lol. I plan on doing a little conspiracy research, just to have something to discuss when I get a little too buzzed at parties :)


2)This morning I missed my gramma - which is not uncommon, my gramma and I have a pretty close bond.  But this morning I had an intense longing to spend the night at her house like I did when I was little; I wanted to spend the night at her old house, that she moved out of probably 10 years ago.  I remember I'd wake up and she and sometimes my grandpa (if he wasn't golfing) would be sitting out on the back porch, drinking coffee and reading the paper.  The back porch had that plasticky artificial grass covering on it, and it had a black gate all around it so that the kids couldn't get out to the pool or the yard.  I'd come out to the porch, and I always remember it was so peaceful and quiet - it always seemed perfect, in a way that's too intangible for me to describe right now.  She'd offer to make me anything I wanted for breakfast, but I always wanted toast at gramma's. Nothing to go with it, just toast. I maintain, to this day, that her toast is the best I've ever eaten.  It was just toast with butter - and I know you're probably thinking "Ok, that's not even that hard to make, how can it be that different?" - and it was just regular bread, regular butter... the only difference I can pinpoint was that she made it in a toaster oven instead of a toaster.  Whatever it was, it was always the perfect crispiness, the exact right amount and flavor of butter - just imagine perfect toast, and there you go.  My gramma still laughs at my insistence that her plain old toast is my favorite breakfast off all time.

3) *SPOILER ALERT* If you watch The Office, and happen to be a little behind, you might not want to read farther.  Not a major spoiler, but Office fans should get the whole experience firsthand.
Brian and I watched the Office wedding today, and it brought me to tears.  Not because I love Jim and Pam so much (though I think most every girl that watches the show is a little in love with Jim Halpert), but it was specifically because of the part where everyone was dancing down the aisle, Pam shaking her head and laughing in the background.  In that moment, I realized that this would someday be my own wedding - in a way, at least.  I realized that my family drives me crazy, that they don't always make everything go smoothly, and some of my friends are even included in that.  I realized that I am a control freak, and that someday I will likely cry like Pam because "this one thing that I was supposed to be able to control" wasn't working out how I planned, that little blips will come up that I may not exactly like but that aren't exactly bad either.  The dancing down the aisle, with that vision of Pam in the background - it made me realize that someday that will be me, and "my" day doesn't need to go exactly as I planned.  I simply need to remember that all of these people are here because of how much they love me, that they chose to spend time from their life that they will never get back to be with me and support me on my day - all I need to do is absorb the immense amount of love in that room, and my day will be perfect.
Yep, I teared up at that point.
Plus, Jim and Pam getting married on the ship was absolutely perfect, and I loved it.

That's all.  Time to go catch up on some old 'Lost' with the hunni before we head out to a cocktail fundraiser tonight!



1 comment:

  1. The wedding was amazing. I cried too. :] I think that we all plan for everything to go PERFECT and by my wedding day I didn't care what happened I just could NOT wait to marry Merv. I didn't care about the things that did not look the way I asked, I didn't care that the DJ played the stupid songs I asked him not to (ie macarena). I just wanted to be married. And that episdoe reminded me so much of that. It isn't about the wedding it's about the MARRIAGE. That makes me happy that you know that one day that will be you, just laughing and having a good time and marrying the man you love!

    Oh! And I think back to the days when I stayed with my Nanny in Alabama and I miss those days more than anything. My papaw built their house and I LOVED being there and finding her secret stashes of candy she attempted to hide. :]

    ReplyDelete