Sunday, March 14, 2010

You know, some things are just for the better.

This past weekend, my Arizonian aunt stayed over a few days in Chapel Hill (on the way to Baltimore), so my currently-stationed-an-hour-away cousin brought her kids up to visit.

A lovely time was had by all, I think, and this visit made me realize something. Well, a few things actually, but just all tied up into one overall thing: everything is just fine the way it is. Vague elaboration:

  1. Some things are changing.  Cliche as it sounds, the things that really matter in life will morph (god, I love using that word.  Normally I don't get to do it unless it's in the context of 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' or 'Animorphs' - and as I watch neither of these shows and am a semi-professional, semi-grownup girl ... yeah, I don't get to say 'morph' much.) - the old will morph to accommodate the new, and the new will morph to stretch around the staunchly entrenched old.  Morph, morph, morph.
  2. Some things aren't changing, not any time soon.  That's okay too.  I recently have been having a bad case of the grass-is-greener's, and I need to remember (and communicate) that even though their grass may be greener, mine is more ... lush, or deer-resistant, or hardy.  Or something equally as good in grass terms.  It's all about wanting what you've got.
  3. Although I have very little grass around my house (speaking in the literal, now) due to the fact that my lighting is terrible, I do have snapdragons. A few of them were snapped cleanly in half - I blame the deer I occasionally see across the street - I replanted the tops and they seem to be doing fine.  (Apparently deer are something I actually have to worry about here.  The nice man at Lowe's chatted me up and down about deer resistance and how important it is, hence me busting it out above in the category of 'grass character strengths)The pink snapdragons out back are doing especially well, and I showed them off to every one of my visitors this weekend.  (Side note to self: Shit. Forgot to water herb garden.  Maybe this is why you have yet to sprout that green thumb.  Water tomorrow, or no fresh herbs to cook with for you this summer, miss!) 
  4. I can SO handle DST - I've done it twice now (I still think it's dumb, but I can do it).  Take that, arbitrary bending of time! We'll see how victorious I feel in the morning. 


Also - everyone mash up slightly overripe bananas into your pancakes.  Why?  It's delicious, most Americans consume WAY too little potassium, it makes them sweeter naturally so you use less sugarsugarsugarsyrup, and because I said so. (Breakfast this weekend was banana pancakes on Saturday and triple berry pancakes on Sunday.  Stick with the banana - it's a winner, I promise.)

With that, time to hit the sack - whose bright idea was it to make me wake up an hour earlier right after I've had a week off?


2 comments:

  1. I love you and miss you and LOVE your updates! Also, I consider you lucky. Snapdragons are my favorite flower and I see them far less than I would like. I felt a pang of jealousy reading that paragraph but commend you for taking care of them! You are a great person Melissa Cotterman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures of the snapdragons? And I will definitely be sticking some overripe bananas in my pancakes - I was inspired by the ones you made (and I basically missed) on Sunday. Bisquick is ready. :)
    Also thank you for the Animorphs and Power Rangers Nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete