Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

I LOVE Halloween.  We're talking bust out the decorations and strategically buy candy to have the optimal blend of chocolate and fruity type of love.  I even decorated today (yes, just for a day, because I was pretty sure my homeowner's association would not approve of my cobwebs in the long term, but was equally as sure that they could tolerate it on Halloween, and if not - they could shove it)


I do not, however, like the college kids' version of Halloween - dress like an utter slut (the skankier, the better.  I actually have a facebook friend who was "slutty Hermione, lol" for Halloween.  Really? If you need to dress the slutty part to get laid at the frat party you're going to, I'll give it to you.  But if you're going as Hermione, regardless of how high the hemline on your robes, it's not likely to happen.) and get completely trashed.

Halloween is supposed to be pretty legendary around here.  Legendary to the point where the mayor, CHPD, and the student body president all tightly regulate the festivities on Franklin Street with a midnight curfew and police patrols.  I didn't really feel like dressing up, fighting my way onto Franklin, and paying exorbitant one-night cover fees simply to see tens of thousands of drunk people (of whom I would likely know...maybe a dozen, if I was lucky), so I didn't go. Maybe I'll be more curious next year and I'll actually go.  We'll see.

The Halloween I chose to have was great.  Brian and I heard 'The Monster Mash' in the car this morning, which was awesome.  Christmas has TONS of songs, but no other holiday really gets mainstream radio time (unless you count Flogging Molly/Dropkick Murphys on St. Patty's Day), so I like to bust out with the Halloween anthem when I can.  I selected a movie of the perfect scariness at Blockbuster - The Skeleton Key.  I'm a wimp with scary movies, but it is Halloween, and this one had me clenching my pillow on the couch but will still allow me to sleep tonight.

We hoped to have trick-or-treaters, but we didn't get any... or so I thought.  We got three: three boys in their late teens who knocked on my door at eleven o'clock.  It was just after I had unplugged the green lights, so I guess they figured I'd be a good person to hit up.  Must have been a split-second decision: 2 had Nike athletic bags (the kind with thin straps you put on your back, you know?) and the third held out his baseball hat.  My aunt's rule was always "If they say 'Trick-or-Treat", give them candy."  They all said it cheerily and in unison, and thus got nearly my whole bowl.  (My fat ass has been eating that candy for weeks.  I certainly did not need any leftovers sitting around.)

Off to bed now.  "Before midnight? On a Saturday? On Halloween, of all Saturdays?" you ask?  That's the way I roll.  You see, it's going to be a big night.  In the middle of my slumber, I will experience my first daylight savings time clock change EVER.  That's something a girl's gotta prep for. Wish me luck - by the time most of you read this, we will only be separated by two hours, instead of three.  (I'm well aware I'm making a big deal out of a small thing.  Don't get me started on how I feel about daylight savings time: my blood pressure will skyrocket and you'll wish you'd never asked.)

No comments:

Post a Comment