Thursday night, Brian and I packed up and drove down to Fayetteville to watch my cousin's kids: 4-year-old Reuben and 10-month-old Lilly. My cousin and her husband have been stationed abroad, away from family, for nearly that whole time (sprinkled with a few deployments), and thus haven't been able to "get away" like young married couples should be able to do. They took off for a fun-filled military weekend in our nation's capitol, and Brian and I embarked on a mini-parenting adventure. Some lessons we learned along the way:
- After waking up at 6:45 to a diaper FULL of feces so foul I literally gagged, I will never complain about having to drag my butt out of bed to go to class again. (well, I probably will. but maybe I'll complain less.)
- Happy baby > cranky baby. However, sleeping baby > happy baby , especially at 3:30 am.
- Some people actually require coaxing to eat. Imagine that! Odd thing : it required no effort to get him to eat asparagus, but the chicken was a bit of a struggle.
- Ben & Jerry's ice cream is still worth it, even if it required an hour long trip and a venture into the ghetto (sans little ones, no worries) to get it.
- Pay attention to slight hills on the mile walk to the park. Little boys on bikes and heavy girls in strollers don't agree with going up on the way back.
- Brian's conclusion: Parenting would be easy if one were independently wealthy or retired.
- My conclusion : I want babies. Just definitely not yet. And I think I've found the person I'd like to have them with. He was dependable, supportive, good with both of them, and in love with the way I look with a baby in my arms. Before him, I always pictured *my* kids, *my* future, with sort of a ... blank abyss in that whole husband/father spot. Now my *my*s have been replaced by an *our* (this transition began a while ago, and received a good bit of solidifying this weekend).
I began with intentions of postingt more, but the hour long non-slumber party this morning kicked my hiney. Time for some (kiddo free) snuggle time with my love.
However you chose to do so, I hope that you honored those whom we remember today.
This was a beautiful post, Melissa!
ReplyDelete